About this Blog
So, what is this about?
It's my take or commentary on unsubstantial matters. The site is a personal learning vehicle and testbed for web design tools and ideas. For instance, the picture above was an exercise in using the Imperial War Museum's protocols to show an image from their superb collection. So the look and style of the site change from time to time. And, there may be an unfinished quality to it all.
What it's not about
Junior officers in the British Army were commanded not to discuss sex, religion or politics in the Mess. Nor were they to mention a lady by name in the discussion. Such restraint was said to contribute to a polite and convivial conversation. On the whole, it did; just look at the gents' demeanours in Muirhead Bone's excellent drawing!
As a result, I dislike more and more the polarising agenda-driven nature of so much of the material delivered online on these subjects. It is unfailingly bereft of balance. Nobody I care about can be bothered with it either.
So, in keeping with tradition, no sex, religion or politics here. Dull? Indeed, but there is plenty of it elsewhere for those that crave it.
Who is it for?
It's for me, mostly. It's good at helping me keep in touch with friends, colleagues and family spread around three continents most of whom don't use Twitter, Google+, Skype et al. So I can kill two birds with one stone.
What's with "the Ye Wee Blogger"?
My Scots Ma called me "a wee blogger" or similar when I did something of which she disapproved, so that was often. I was well into my thirties before she stopped doing it.
- I built this site using the Processwire Content Management System and UI Kit (Version 3 ) frontend framework.
- The typefaces in use are Gotham Narrow (headings) and Archer (body) delivered by Hoefler&Co.
- Font Awesome provides the icons – .
- I have similar sites with nearly identical content at joebai.ch and whaslike.us that use some different building blocks.
- I host my own and my clients' sites on Liquid Web. From there, they are provided worldwide via Cloudflare's Content Delivery Network (CDN).
The content, including the images, is mine unless otherwise attributed.